Winter Is Coming-Is Your Home Prepared?
As the leaves begin to fall and the air becomes colder, it may be time to consider what you can do to protect your home against the winter months before it’s too late.
If you want to prevent damage to your home from harsh winter elements, the following insights from Shepard Insurance Group can help you prepare:
- Install smart home thermostats so you can monitor the temperature of your home, even if you aren’t there.
- Have an expert service your heating system or replace air filters (if needed).
- Use a flow-based water leak detection system with automatic water shutoff to prevent leaks, frozen pipes, and low pressure.
- Any garden or exterior hoses should be disconnected, and frost-free faucets should be installed to protect against freezing.
- Inspect and repair any exterior caulking around windows and doors.
- Make sure gutters and downspouts are clean, slope at least 4 inches away from your house, or are connected to an underground drainage system.
Protect Your Second Home
- Turn off the breaker and unplug your hot water heater.
- Keep doors inside the house (including cabinets) open to help circulate warm air
- Bring outdoor furniture inside and secure sheds or structures to protect against wind or future snowstorms.